ENVIS is a decentralized system with a network of distributed subject oriented Centers ensuring integration of national efforts in environmental information collection, collation, storage, retrieval and dissemination to all concerned.
Realizing the importance of Environmental Information, the Government of India, in December, 1982, established an Environmental Information System(ENVIS) as a plan programme. The focus of ENVIS since inception has been on providing environmental information to decision makers, policy planners, scientists and engineers, research workers, etc. all over the country. Presently the ENVIS network consists of Focal Point at the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change and ENVIS Centers setup in different organizations/establishments in the country in selected areas of environment. These Centers have been set up in the areas of pollution control, toxic chemicals, central and offshore ecology, environmentally sound and appropriate technology, bio-degradation of wastes and environment management, etc. ENVIS focal point ensures integration of national efforts in environmental information collection, collation, storage, retrieval and dissemination to all concerned.
Objectives of ENVIS Centers
- To build up a repository and dissemination centre in Environmental Science and Engineering;
- To gear up the modern technologies of acquisition, processing, storage, retrieval and dissemination of information of environmental nature; and
- To support and promote research, development and innovation in environmental information technology.
- To provide national environmental information service relevant to present needs and capable of development to meet the future needs of the users, originators, processors and disseminators of information
- To build up storage, retrieval and dissemination capabilities with the ultimate objectives of disseminating information speedily to the users;
- To promote, national and international cooperation and liaison for exchange of environment related information;
- To promote, support and assist education and personnel training programmes designed to enhance environmental information processing and utilization capabilities;
- To promote exchange of information amongst developing countries.
Responsibilities of ENVIS Centers
- Building up a good collection of books, reports and journals in the particular subject area of environment;
- Establishment of linkages with all information sources in the particular subject area of environment;
- Responding to user queries;
- Establishment of a data bank on some selected parameters relating to the subject area;
- Coordination with the Focal Point for supplying relevant, adequate and timely information to the users;
- Helping the Focal Point in gradually up an inventory of information material available at the Centre; identification of information gaps in the specified subject areas and action to fill these gaps;
- Bringing out newsletters/publications in their subject area for wide dissemination.
The ENVIS scheme is headed by;
Dr. Anandi Subramanian, IES
Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change,
Room No.A424, 4th Floor, 'Agni' Wing,
Indira Paryavaran Bhawan, Jor Bagh Road,
New Delhi - 110 003
Sikkim State ENVIS Center
This center is a State Government Centre functioning under Forests, Environment and Wildlife Management Department, Government of Sikkim, Gangtok.
Subject Area: On Status of Environment and its Related Issues
Location : The Center has been established at the Ground Floor of the Betula (B) Block, Forest Secretariat, Deorali, Gangtok, East Sikkim.
Administration: Sikkim State ENVIS center is functioning under the over all administration of the Principal Secretary -cum- PCCF, Forests, Environment and Wildlife Management Department, Government of Sikkim. The day to day affairs of the center are being supervised and managed by the Additional Director (Planning/ Environment and Soil Conserbvation Circle), who is also the Programme coordinator for ENVIS Centre Sikkim. There are four project staff working under the center to look after the needs of collection, compilation, database development, updating of information on the database and in websites, etc.,
ENVIS SIKKIM Coordinator: Shri. B. B. Gurung, Additional (Planning/ Environment & Soil Conservation)
ENVIS Sikkim Team
- Shri. Rajen Pradhan - Sr. Programme Officer
- Shri. Laxuman Darnal - Information Officer
- Miss Renu Gurung - IT -cum- Programme Assistant
- Miss Tulsha Gurung - Data Entry Operator