SIKKIM PARYAVARAN MAHOTSAV 2016 KICKS OFF
JUNE 15, 2016, Gangtok
» See HCM's Appeal
ENVIS SIKKIM Report, June 15, 2016: The 4th successive fifteen day environment festival as envisaged by the Hon'ble Chief Minister of Sikkim Shri Pawan Chamling during the year 2013 was flagged off today from MG Marg Gangtok by the Chief Guests Shri Shakti Singh Choudhary, Mayor GMC, Smt Kalawati Subba, Chairperson SPCB and other digintaries at 8 am in presence of officials from Forest, GMC and other departments including local people, students and media. This environment festival of Sikkim is to be observed from June 15 to June 30 as notified in the State Government Gazette vide Notification No. 40/Home dated 21/06/2013 that the period from 15th June to 30th June shall be observed as "Paryavaran Mahotsav" in the State of Sikkim every year.
During the flag off programme, the dignitaries released and distributed garbage disposal bags for vehices and handed away waste segregation bins to Namchi Municipalities and organization in and around Gangtok. The dignitaries also launced the signature campaign to pledge for clean and green environment.
To commemorate the 2016 event, various activities as under shall be carried out throughout the State.
- Massive plantation drives under the State's flagship programmes viz. Smritivans, State Green Mission (11th Phase) and Ten Minutes to Earth (8th phase) on June 25
- Cleanliness drives to contemplate Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- Green walk, rally, banner campaign, street plays
- Signature campaign
- Eco-competitions at schools,
- Release of Posters, Go-Green stickers, 2015 Activtiy booklet and garbage bags for vehicles
- Awareness campaigns
- Environment lectures on Low Carbon Lifestyles, wildlife and biodiversity conservation etc at various schools and colleges in the State.
Forest, Environment & Wildlife Management Department will be providing up to 15 lakhs seedlings free of cost from 15th June through seedling distribution centres set up at various locations throughout the state. The plantation will be carried out along the roadside and any vacant or degraded areas through the coordination of other government departments, NGOs, urban and local bodies, panchayats, students and local public at large.
» List of Seedling Distribution Centres [PDF, 1.41 Mb]